Managing Director Commercial Shipping UK
BMT is seeking an exceptional candidate to lead the Commercial Shipping UK Operating Unit.
BMT is a leading global, engineering consultancy that operates in global markets working primarily in the maritime industry. Our customers buy cost-effective solutions to business problems that require technical excellence, independent thinking and innovation.
Structured as an Employee Benefit Trust, BMT employs over 1,500 staff worldwide; located in Europe, Asia Pacific and the Americas. Our combination of intellectual rigour, independence of thought and commercial insight helps us to play a vital role in industries as diverse as oil and gas, defence, renewable energy, ports, risk management, environmental studies and maritime transport.
The Commercial Shipping operating unit is a leading independent naval architecture and marine engineering design consultancy which provides services for advanced and specialised vessels.
The Managing Director leads the Commercial Shipping, UK Operating Unit and reports to the Commercial Shipping Partnership Managing Director and through him to the BMT Executive Committee. The Managing Director manages the Operating Unit from a commercial perspective and also possesses the technical capacity and broader industry gravitas through which they interface across key market sectors and clients, and maintain and build BMT’s reputation.
We are seeking an ambitious business leader who will build on the foundations already laid in the business to continue to deliver sustained growth and maturity, build core capabilities and invest in innovation.
Credible candidates will define the growth strategy and guide the company through change to deliver the ambitions of the business. They will exemplify the values and behaviour required of a senior leader within BMT; establishing effective working relationships with executive colleagues and taking collective responsibility for the day-to-day running of the company. They will lead on the full range of business issues, notably on the formulation of the business strategy, taking responsibility alongside colleagues for initiation, implementation and monitoring performance against the financial and other associated targets in the business plan.
Candidates will need to have demonstrable evidence of:
- Excellent knowledge of specialised Ship Design in Commercial vessels and / or Defence and Yachts markets and strong, established relationships with key decision makers in the industry
- Building engagement in common and focussed goals, both commercially and culturally and empowering managers to do the same
- Being an architect of high performing senior and junior management teams, ensuring good communication flow through the business
- Acting fairly and consistently; bringing out strengths in others in the Senior Management Team and throughout the company
- Inspiring and motivating the wider team for high performance, providing a direction and a framework in which people can succeed
- Ability to grasp complex situations, formulate effective strategies and exercises and sound judgement in their implementation
- Identify opportunities for growth and manage risk and mitigate against business failure
- Self-awareness and emotionally intelligence; communicating in a proactive, professional, clear and constructive manner to engage, influence and motivate staff and clients alike
- Building and maintaining the capability to innovate, to secure the organisation’s long-term future; creating a strategy to achieve innovation goals which includes developing innovative partnerships that span the organisation
- Fostering and maintaining strong professional working relationships with key stakeholders to understand and meet their needs and manage their expectations
- Driving improvement
- Demonstrating resilience and a forward-thinking outlook
- Demonstrating understanding, alignment and commitment to ethical values, standards and obligations
- Demonstrating ability to manage the overall performance of a business (revenue and profit targets, resource management, safety, quality, etc.)
Based in Southampton UK, with regular travel to client sites (UK and internationally).
- Salary will be commensurate with knowledge, skills and experience.
- Group DC pension on a 2:1 ratio
- Life Assurance
- 25 days holiday per year, plus 3 additional days between Christmas and New Year
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Private Medical Insurance for self, partner and children up to 21 (or 24 in full time education)
- Performance related bonus based on current scheme rules
- A salary and bonus Exchange Scheme
- Childcare Vouchers (entry by October 2018)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Ongoing Professional Development and Professional Subscription on an annual basis
- Closing date for applications is 1st August 2018
Please email your CV and a covering letter explaining why you wish to be considered for this position to Anne Segall, HR Director BMT email@example.com
For further information on BMT Group, please visit their website: www.bmt.org
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org