Naval Architect Project Manager
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Naval Architect Project Manager
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations. BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is 100% owned by BMT Group. For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a BMT Group Company. BMT Group is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense, energy and transport sectors. For further information on BMT Group, please visit www.bmt.org.
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Naval Architect Project Manager with experience leading and managing commercial and government shipboard marine systems design, construction and modification projects (ferries, work boats, patrol boats, research vessels). Candidates must have technical, design, and project management experience working with commercial and government shipyards and clients. Communication and collaboration skills to fully integrate with and manage a multidisciplinary team and converse with commercial and government clients are a must and equally important as technical expertise. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Produce conceptual designs for new vessels and vessel conversions;
- Perform calculations to support design decisions and research and resolve technical problems
- Manage projects including reviewing requests for proposals, estimating the scope of work, developing budgets and schedules, and subsequently directing the work of engineering and design staff.
Work Location: Tacoma, WA and Alexandria, VA
Candidates must be U.S. Person who is a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Company will not sponsor a work visa for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, or related field required.
- Candidate must have a Professional Engineering License or the ability to obtain one within one calendar year of hire.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as a practicing naval architect performing new vessel and modification design with experience in hull form development, arrangements, structures, stability, powering, and seakeeping analysis is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing naval architecture design projects for commercial and/or government clients and producing ship construction or modification work packages and directing the work of engineering and design staff is required.
- Advanced proficiency using AutoCAD required. Experience using NavCAD, GHS, finite element analysis software packages, and/or ShipContructor is highly desirable.
- Must have knowledge and experience researching and applying ABS Rules, CFR requirements, and military and/or commercial technical standards.
- Shipyard experience preferred.
- Aptitude to proactively investigate and resolve project issues including changes to scope of work, budgets, delivery time tables and resources.
- Confident and clear verbal communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks.
- Excellent organizational skills to complete multiple and sometimes complex detail-oriented projects and tasks on time.
- Ability to learn new engineering software packages and design standards and integrate them directly into current projects is required.
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing narrow ladders, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Advanced experience and knowledge of MS Word and Excel required. Experience with MS Project desirable.
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges.
- Committed to actively contributing to individual and team growth.
- Confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services.
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants must email resume, BMT Employment Application and Surveys with subject line "ENG 92" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070