Marine Electronics Technician
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is seeking a part-time Marine Electronic Technician
BMT is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations.
BMT is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense and security, energy and environment, critical infrastructure and commercial shipping sectors. For further information on BMT please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is seeking a part-time Marine Electronic Technician who is a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for U.S. Coast Guard (CG) /US Navy (USN) Shipboard Electronic Navigation and Communications equipment and systems. For the purpose of:
- Perform installation, maintenance, repair, and management of electronic equipment, including command and control systems, shipboard fiber optics, communications receivers and transmitters, radar systems, electronic-chart navigation equipment, Dynamic Positioning System, and controls
- Investigate existing maintenance actions to determine failure points as well as corrections to reduce or eliminate
- Recommend upgrades and replacement parts to repair and extend the life expectancy of marine electronic systems and equipment
- Summarize cost estimate of recommended material purchase, lead time, and installation of new materials
- Estimate time to perform recommended repairs and modifications
- Identify existing Maintenance Procedure Cards (MPC) for modification and/or improvement
- Identify existing drawings for modification and/or identification of new drawings
- Tow boats and perform other duties as needed
Work Location: Portsmouth, VA
Candidates must be a US Citizen and must possess and maintain an active DoD Secret Security Clearance. Candidates may be subject to a government security investigation. Company will not sponsor a work visa or relocation for this position.
Driving Record required prior to performing towing duties.
- High School diploma or GED and 10 years ship electronics experience required
- Specialty school training / certification in ship or boat electrical or electronic maintenance, and CG or USN vessel maintenance management desirable
- Minimum 10 years’ ship gas turbine systems and electrical or electronic equipment and control system installation, repair and maintenance experience
- Knowledge of CG/USN shipboard electronic navigation and communications equipment is desirable
- Experience and skill with the use of research tools for logistical, technical information, NSTM, and ship drawings
- Minimum 3 years’ experience reviewing and revising MPC for review and distribution and conducting MPC validation required
- Experience working with depot level maintenance for ship dry dock and dockside availability preferred
- Experience and ability to quickly integrate with a multidisciplinary team and successfully develop strong positive working relationships is required
- Physically able to conduct ship checks to develop MPCs including being in confined spaces, climbing ladders and lifting up to 50 pounds required
- Demonstrated strong listening, oral and written communication skills with ability to quickly and successfully integrate with a multidisciplinary team, establish successful working relationships with program managers, technical staff, technicians, subcontractors and other stake-holders and develop a data sharing and collaborative environment required
- MS Office skills are required to create weekly and monthly activity reports required
- Demonstrated ability to investigate and resolve technical issues
- Demonstrated proficiency in completing detail-oriented tasks on time working independently and with a multidisciplinary team is required
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include anticipating and understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges
- Dependable, confident, action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contributes to success of consultancy team
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salaries. Interested candidates must email resume, BMT Employment Application and surveys with subject line "RCM 97” to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070